3.20.2007

Resume builder

You know how we talk about certain phases in life being transition phases? Well, I think I'm in one of those right now. Granted I'm in school and have no concrete idea of where I'll be in 3 months, which would definitely warrant "transition" status. However, I recently realized one qualifying factor of a transitory lifestyle that I have neglected to notice before now.

This epiphany resulted from seeing my picture in a magazine. Don't worry, I am not famous. I was just in the background of the real subject's picture and was actually so blurry that not even my mom would recognize me. In fact, the main reason I know it was me is because my backpack has two apparently meaningless reflector things on the straps (they don't actually reflect; they just look like they do). However, the second reason I know it was me was because in addition to the sweater I was wearing and my backpack, I was carrying two jackets, another bag, some papers and a book. There I was—a typical graduate student as the backdrop of Mr. Man’s picture and I have enough baggage to make it through the night on the street.

That's when you're transitional—when you spend the entire day loaded down with things, either draped over body parts or strapped to your body. You don't have a desk or a chair to store things on. Every day is spent as a vagrant, with the only consistent things being your body and your baggage. One pleasant byproduct of this realization is that I’m now fairly confident I could survive on the streets if this graduate degree doesn’t actually work out. Well, for at least one night...

No comments: