7.18.2010

Literally kicked off the island

I have been mucho busy with my little 7 week math adventure but thankfully I've still been able to have a few other mini adventures along the way.  One of my favorites so far was my 4th of July weekend excursion to Peddocks island.  It's easily my favorite Boston Harbor island thus far.

Only manned lighthouse in New England. 
In between Boston and Peddocks. Pretty.

We sailed out to the island courtesy of our good friend, Matt, who is a certified skipper.  He sails like mad and was kind enough to take a little group of us camping on Peddocks.  It's a beautiful island, about an hour (by boat) from Boston.  The trip out was beautiful--sunset, gentle winds, warm summer air.  And the island itself was even more beautiful-- really lush vegetation and meadows surrounding old, decrepit buildings (like the church pictured below).  He told us beforehand that it was technically closed, but he didn't seemed phased fazed by it (in his words, "How do you close a national park?") so we weren't phased fazed by it.


We then learned we should have been phased fazed by it. We had just started setting up camp and doing a bit of exploring when we received a little visit from the park rangers (it turns out you close an island by putting park rangers on it to kick off stray sailors).  Apparently the island was closed because all the buildings were condemned and were going to be torn down and therefore people weren't supposed to be camping on the island.  However, because it was already so dark, the rangers were kind and let us stay the night.  It was awesome.  We saw moon jellies (I'm pretending to eat one below), watched all the fireworks from across the bay and looked at all the crazy plants and old fort/asylum buildings.  It's fun to stay on an uninhabited island!


And THEN, on our return trip, we saw a sinking boat.  Scary!  It hit a rock known as Devil's Back.  It carried between 150-200 passengers but thankfully everyone got out.



Matt says he'll take me on a catamaran next.  I'll be a sailor yet. :)

5 comments:

C said...

fazed not phased. Love Mom

P.S. I have to do this for Mom because she doesn't know how to log in to her google account... but she still wants to educate you

L.J. said...

Awesome. :) Thanks, Mom. Count me as educated. I wonder how many times I've made that error because there was no sense of recognition or an, "Oh yeah!" when I read the correction. Whoops! Apparently I was daydreaming during that spelling lesson.

CK said...

LOL at fazed not phased. Wow, I had a good laugh at this post... "We soon learned we should have been fazed by it..."
Wow, that place looks amazing! What a beautiful 4th of July excursion! You're lucky you got to stay. And what are moon jellies???

L.J. said...

Moon jellies are disc shaped translucent jellyfish. I've seen them in the Aquarium and what not, but the beaches on Peddocks were covered with them. It was cool. They are squishy.

CK said...

And you picked em up? brave! I think I'd be a little scared-y cat.