Sadly, I haven't seen the suspender man for quite a while. Indeed, my whole morning community was disrupted by my move to a new neighborhood. The new house is gorgeous, the new roommates are fantastic and the new covered bus stop promises to be a safe haven when the winter winds sail in. However, I haven't seen the couple for quite a while and I miss the little elderly man that would eat his breakfast in the window booth at the pizza parlor by my old (uncovered and crowded) bus stop. He would watch me run for the bus as I desperately tried to avoid cars and maintain my modesty (skirts and morning runs don't mix well). He'd lift his hand, nod his head and smile a little close lipped smile. Toward the end, he would mouth words at me that I never fully understood. It made me feel like I was in some other country. Maybe Italy. He probably knows English better than I do but, nonetheless, it all felt very quaint. Two strangers who have never said anything to each becoming friends through the window.
Thanks to Jared for calling me out. I had kind of forgotten about the blog and nearly missed doing my August post. You gotta appreciate the friends that keep you on track.
1 comment:
I hadn't really thought of this before, but I wrote on something like this a while ago (http://rkfisher.blogspot.com/2006/05/from-russells-old-blog-commuting.html). Maybe it is the Bostonian lifestyle. Maybe it is our familial similarities . Maybe we are just both kind of weird.
Post a Comment